Family Law Attorney: Florida Child Support and Job Loss – What to Do

Back To Divorce and Family Law Video Help Page

Back To Divorce and Family Law Video Help Page

One of the most common questions I get as a family law attorney is “what do I do if I’m paying child support and I lose my job?” If you watched the video above, then you know that the Florida child support laws will probably still require you to pay something. After all, even if you’re jobless, you are still responsible for your child’s welfare.

But that doesn’t mean that you should just sit around and continue trying to make the same payments as before. So what should you do about child support after a job loss?

Speak with an experienced Florida attorney at our firm today.
Call 855-Kramer-Now (855-572-6376)

Talk to a family law attorney. You may be worried about spending the money, but it is usually well worth it because every single situation is unique. An attorney can look at your circumstances and give you a better idea of what you should do. Besides that, there are a lot of lawyers out there willing to create payment plans or even offer free initial consultations. You won’t know what’s possible for you until you have an expert look at your case.

File a modification. You are not the first person this has happened to, and there is a procedure in place to help. If you lose your job or your pay is reduced, one of the first things you should do is file a Modification of Child Support. Essentially, this says, “Hey, my situation has changed and I can’t afford the same payments as before.” At the very least, you are creating an official document to notify the powers that be.

Keep looking. When you approach the issue in the right way, the courts may reduce your payments substantially after a job loss to give you a chance to get back on your feet. However, they are not going to wait forever, and if it looks like you’re not even trying to find work, it can reflect badly on you and cause Florida child support judges to get tougher.

A Family Law Attorney Can Help Guide You

Losing a job is terrible for anyone, but it’s even worse when you have a child depending on you for support. The most important thing you can do is seek out the expert advice of an experienced Florida family law attorney so that any action you take is done based on knowledge.

Get Help with Legal Issues Now! - Call 855-Kramer-Now (855-572-6376)
Back To Video Help Page

Altamonte Springs Office
999 Douglas Avenue
Suite 3333
Altamonte Springs, FL 32714
Downtown Orlando Office
37 N. Orange Avenue
Suite 500b
Orlando, FL 32801
CALL (407) 834-4847